We are a community of makers and teachers here at LBYS. We know that when students learn new skills in the context of a project, there is a mental “anchor” for the new information as well as the opportunity to practice independently, that together support real learning. That’s why many of our classes are focused on projects. In honor of Maker Faire this past weekend, we’d like to highlight some of our upcoming classes in the month of October where students can learn while doing.
- Top Down Crochet – understanding crochet gauge, raglan shaping, one piece sweater construction, pattern modification
- Fair Isle Sweater – convert a flat pattern to work in the round, manage 3 colors, adjust length and even steek it into a cardigan if you want!
- Crochet Hat for Everyone – work in the round to make a circle & a tube, make a hat with any yarn for any size head without swatching!
- Fair Isle Basics – read a fair isle chart, managing tension when stranding, how to decrease in fair isle knitting
- Irish Crochet Scarf – form the mesh, work in joined and continuous rounds, seaming flowers and leaves to mesh
- Brioche Basics – learn brioche knit & purl, how to work brioche in the round using two colors.
- Cobweb Lace Shawl – learn how to wet felt a cobweb scarf without knitting or crochet!
HANDS & FEET
- My First Mittens – working in the round on DPNs, working a gusset, using a stitch holder.
- Two at a Time Socks – working two socks at once on magic loop, Turkish cast on, fleegle heel turn.