We’ll be offering some new classes at our Manhattan Studio in the coming months, and wanted to introduce them to you! From color-working, to new techniques for knitters & crocheters, we always love to offer the opportunity to develop a new crafting skill.
Crochet Planned Color Pooling
On Sunday, March 25th, Lisa will teach ‘Crochet Planned Color Pooling’. This crochet technique will allow you to control how colors pool when you’re using a variegated yarn. For this class, we’ll be working in our Color Waves yarn, in the following options: Prairie Sunset, Rainbow, or Playground. You’ll learn to analyze the color sequence to plan a pattern repeat, and plenty of tips & tricks to make adjustments as you go, so the color pooling is consistent every row! We’ll be making a moss stitch scarf, and you’ll be amazed as the argyle pattern appears!
- When: 3/25/2018 from 1pm – 4pm
- Skills Needed: Must know how to chain & single crochet.
- Materials Needed:
- 2 Balls Color Waves (in Prairie Sunset, Rainbow, or Playground)
- Several Crochet Hooks (the hook size you typically use for worsted weight yarn, plus one larger & one smaller).
- Tuition: $60/3-Hour Session
Gretchen will lead this two-week knitting class, beginning Tuesday, March 20th. The class will focus on the Armenian method for trapping long floats in stranded knitting – it’s a perfect technique for mittens, so fingers don’t get caught! But the technique can be used for any stranded knitting project for which you want to make sure the back of the work will have secured floats. We’ll also knit a hem & a Latvian braid, embellishments that can be used for a wide variety of projects.
There is homework for this class! Using smaller needles & leaving a long tail, please cast on 52 stitches in Contrasting Color, join, and knit 9 rounds.
- When: 3/20/2018 & 3/27/2018 from 5pm – 8pm
- Skills Needed: Participants must know how to work in the round using either DPNs, a Magic Loop, or 2 Circular Needles; must also know how to work basic stranded knitting, and read charts.
- Materials Needed:
- Yarn: LB Collection Merino Yak Alpaca – 2 Balls in Main Color, 1 Ball in Contrasting Color
- Needles: DPNs or Circular Needles – US Size 3 (3.25mm) & 4 (3.5mm) OR size to obtain 6 sts per inch, stockinette in the round
- Accessories: Stitch Markers, Highlighter Tape, Sticky Notes OR the chart-tracking method of your choice.
- Tuition: $75/2 Sessions
Machine Knitting Basics: Making a Hat
Coming up in early April, Rhiannon will teach Machine Knitting Basics: Making a Hat. On Sunday, April 8th, we’ll gather to learn the basics of machine knitting, with a practical application. We’ll work on everything from cast-ons to decreasing & finishing. By the end, you’ll leave with a completed hat! You learn: e-wrap, foldover hem, stockinette knitting, decreases, binding off, and seaming. Come try something new!
- When: 4/8/2018 from 2pm – 5pm
- Skills Needed: Beginning class, no prerequisites needed!
- Materials Needed: 1 Ball Worsted Weight Yarn (Heartland, Vanna’s Choice, or Wool-Ease are all great options!)
- Tuition: $100/3-Hour Session (includes machine rental)
Join Edita on April 19th to master the skill of Backwards Crochet! We’ll learn jog-free colorwork for clean stripes, how to start a new row without a turning chain (ever!), and backwards crochet to eliminate visible ridges from the right side of the work. Sounds too good to be true, right? We’ll walk away from class knowing how to polish the rough edges of crochet projects, and take the finished product up a notch!
- When: 4/19/2018 from 6pm – 8pm
- Skills Needed: Must know how to work ch, sc, dc, tch, and change color without supervision.
- Materials Needed:
- Yarn: Yarn for the class exercise is provided.
- Hook: Bring a US size J-10 (6mm) hook, or the size you use for worsted weight yarn.
- Tuition: $50/2-Hour Session
Come try something new!
We hope you’ll join us for a class or workshop, and pick up a new skill or technique this year! And we’re always looking for new things to offer, whether just for one class or an ongoing experience. Getting together to craft, learn new things, and enjoy one another’s company is what we look forward to every week. Let us know if you’re enrolled for something soon!