At Lion Brand Yarn Studio, we’re proud to offer a wide variety of educational programming, from beginning level classes in both knitting and crochet to workshops in all sorts of knitting, crocheting, and yarncrafting techniques, including weaving, dyeing, and felting.
Whether you want to take a group class or a private lesson, we have the right fit for you.
Our classes and workshops (2-8 people) are offered on evenings, weekday afternoons, and Sundays. New schedules are posted on the first of every month. You can book online or by phone at 212-243-9070. If you prefer learning one-on-one, or don’t see what you’re looking for in our current schedule, we also offer private / duet lessons during our regular store hours.
We also offer free, drop-in knitting & crochet help at the Studio each week:
For more information on classes & workshops at LBYS, and how to book, read on!
To download a PDF of our April class schedule click here.
About MindBody Online: Navigating Our Booking Site
Clicking on any of the headers below will take you to our online booking site, where you can view and enroll in our upcoming classes, workshops, and free events, or request a private lesson appointment. Here are a few tips!
- Tabs at the top of the screen will direct you to the category, where you can scroll to see all courses or events in that section. (ex: class vs. private lesson)
- A drop-down menu in the upper right will allow you to narrow your results even further. (ex: knitting vs. crochet, or knitting 1 vs. knitting 2)
- You can also enter a date to see what’s available that day or week.
- Click “Sign Up Now!” to book or RSVP – you will be guided through our site registration, and will soon be on your way to learning something awesome!
- Level 1 is a beginning class for students are brand-new to the craft.
- Level 2 is for knitters and crocheters who are still fairly new, but confident in the basics and ready to take the next steps.
- After Knitting 1, we also offer a six-week “complete” course that provides a sampling of all of the knitting essentials: gauge, fixing mistakes, increases & decreases, simple cables and lace, and finishing!
- Knitting and Crochet workshops include everything from the essentials (gauge, finishing, etc) to advanced techniques, to garment-making. Looking to try your hand at cables? Lace? Colorwork? We’ve got it!
- Yarncrafting workshops encompass all of our courses that don’t require either knitting needles or crochet hooks! Here you can learn weaving, yarn-dying, spinning with a drop spindle, and a wide range of felting techniques.
- Skill-Builders are action-packed, 1-hour sessions that teach some of our coolest tips and tricks – everything from the perfect way to pick up stitches, to weaving in your ends like an expert.
- Throughout the year, we’re able to offer special, one-time courses taught by what you might call “visiting professors” – authors, designers, and overall experts in their craft. If you’re looking for something extraordinary to spice up your repertoire, look no further!
Select a class from our catalog of over 100 classes (classes rotate each month, so there are many options that may not be on the current schedule) or tell us what you’re hoping to learn, and we’ll work with you to accommodate your request.
- Private knitting, and crochet lessons are offered for $45 per hour.
- Weaving Private lessons are offered for $65 per 90 minute session (for first time weavers) or $45 per hour.
- Machine Knitting Private lessons are offered for $75 per 90 minute session (for first time session), or $50 per hour.
- Duet lessons, perfect for parent and child or two friends, are offered for $65 per hour in knitting, crochet or weaving, and $75 per hour in machine knitting,
- Privates and Duets are available during regular business hours.
We also offer paid drop-in classes to help you with a particular project. Because these classes are on going, your sessions do not have to be used consecutively. Just take your time and use the sessions when you need them. You can pay as you go, or book 4 sessions at a time for a reduced rate. Your sessions will not be marked as used until you come in!
Sweater School – For Knitters
Finally get over your fear of sweater knitting & let us help you every step of the way. You can bring a pattern you always wanted to try, or we can help you find the perfect pattern. In the first session you will be measured and we will discuss how to adapt an existing pattern to fit you perfectly, or (if you have previous sweater knitting experience) how to design a simple sweater for yourself. We will walk you through yarn selection & swatching. In the following three sessions you will come back and work through your sweater from cast on to finishing.
Project Knitting and Crochet
Have an unfinished project that you need help completing? Want to learn a new technique or start a brand new project. Come work with one of our expert staff on any project you like. Pair this with the free follow up of the Crochet Doctor on Tuesday nights & the Knitting Doctor on Wednesday nights, and you’ll get that special project finished in no time.
Class Photo Gallery
(Click on the photos to see them full-screen. Then use the left and right arrows to scroll through them; click the X in the top-left corner to exit. If you’re viewing this blog post in your email or RSS reader, you may need to click the title to see it with full functionality on our website.)
Loyalty Program & Discounts
We have partnered up with Perkville to set up this program for you which integrates directly with our online booking system. When students attend a class they automatically earn a point for every dollar they spent on that class, and Perkville sends an email the next morning inviting them to track their points online at www.perkville.com. Students that have enough points for a reward can redeem their points on Perkville and bring in a printed voucher that they can use as payment when they book a class. You can also earn points for sharing your love of yarncrafting with a friend. Perkville will help you do it with their refer a friend e-mail. When your friend registers for a class, you will earn 20 points! Remember the rewards levels increase the more points you earn, so the more you learn, the more you save!
What you can get with your points
- $10 off any class or workshop (requires 200pts)
- $25 off any class or workshop (requires 400pts)
- $50 off any class or workshop (requires 500pts)
Perkville is a trusted partner of our scheduling system. Perkville will never share or use any Lion Brand Yarn Studio student information.
Every graduate deserves a reward! For every class you complete at Lion Brand Yarn Studio, you’ll receive 10% off your next purchase.*
- Good only for purchases made on the last day of your class or workshop (you can shop before or after that class)
- Good only for items carried in the Lion Brand Yarn Studio (not online orders)
- Cannot be combined with any other sale or discount
*Not valid for Master Classes, Project Knitting & Crochet, Sweater School, or other discounted packages.
Early Bird Pricing
* Not valid on Master classes or class packages. Cancelled classes or workshops purchased with early bird pricing can only be returned for class credit.